Monday, August 22, 2011
Last weekend we went on our first camping trip of the summer (I know it's sad). The new job really put a wrench in our vacation plans for the summer, but we wouldn't trade the two for anything. So, we finally found some time to get away and we ventured to the Uintas. There we found the largest lake in that mountain range: Moon Lake. We had a fantastic time! I almost dare say it was a problem free trip...aside from the buffalo gnats. Those gnasty (haha) little guys didn't really hurt when they bit you, but they sure left a bloody trail.
Anyway, it was basically your perfect camping trip...great weather...great food...great bathrooms (very important)...great scenery...great company!
Here is the beautiful Moon Lake.
Friday morning we all went on a hike. Here you see Lisa and Camden, Kellilyn, Lance and Ryland, and Bryson.
The wildflowers were still popping out here and there. I really liked the lighting on this one.
Jenny and Hailey forging the creek.
Thomas and Hailey throwing stuff in the lake.
James and Miles cute and happy.
Abby and Thomas. Camping and hiking was so much more fun with cousins. They played so well together and really kept each other entertained better than any electronic toy. I wish I had taken a picture of their little club house by the campground. They outlined rooms using rocks and made it a very cozy little place to play.
Another view of the lake with the Bradley/Barrow crew.
We tried to hike to the western most point of the lake, but it seemed to keep going and going. Hailey, Jenny, Kelley, Miles and I eventually turned around and let the others continue on the adventure.
Once again collecting things to throw into the lake.
Friday afternoon, we went to the beach. I almost didn't bring all of our swim gear because of the space that it takes up. But, I am so glad that I did because the sand was so soft and warm. I can't say the same for the water, but everyone had a good time playing on the shore line.
Here is Ryland filling his bucket.
Miles waking Kelley up from her sunny nap.
Hailey and Abby working hard on their castle mote.
Same with Thomas and Eric.
Here is our campsite. They were so big and spaced out with lots of shade. I loved it. But, I guess the whole campsite is getting a makeover next year, so we'll have to wait until 2013 until we can go up again.
Friday night we had dutch oven dinners. They were oh so yummy! Maria graced us with a delicious beef stew. Can't you just smell the goodness?!
And I made a pizza casserole that was just as yummy and very simple.
Here we are waiting for dinner to cook. Thomas and Hailey have been into the Magic Tree House series lately and I've enjoyed reading the books to them. We just started a new book on our way up to the mountains and the kids were so worn out from the day that all they could do was sit and listen to the story. We lost Eric to dreamland minutes after this picture was taken.
And even though SOME people don't like s'mores (aka James, the one with the marshmallow) I really enjoyed them and all their gooey gloriousness. But, I learned a while ago from Mckay, you must set your Hersheys on top of the gram cracker by the fire while you roast your marshmallow. That is the only way to enjoy the warm melted chocolate mixed with the creamy yet slightly toasted marshmallow.
I also like this picture because Thomas has his headlamp on. Ever since headlamps have started to grow on trees around here, he's made sure to have one close by in case of dark emergencies.
Coloring with Aunt Lisa.
Later that night we played telephone which was very interesting and informative about where the weak links in communication in the family are...:).
You'll have to see the rest of the pictures in Moon Lake part 2 because I guess I can't add more than 20 pictures at a time through Picassa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment